Answer these questions
- What is your favourite colour?"
- When do you use an umbrella?"
- When do you use scissors?
- Why doesn't the glue stick to the inside of the bottle?
Ask one of your classmates
Modified from source
- "How old are you?"
- "How are you"?
- "Do you like chocolate?"
- "Do you like music?"
- "Do you like computer games?"
- "Do you like to go shopping?"
- "Do you like to go to the cinema?"
Ask one of your classmates, more difficult
Modified from L Cronås, lektion.se source
1. A classmate who rode a rollercoaster ___________________________
2. A classmate who flew to Greece_______________________________
3. A classmate who slept in all mornings___________________________
4. A classmate who cut the lawn ________________________________
5. A classmate who threw a birthday party_________________________
6. A classmate who played PS/Wii/X-box__________________________
7. A classmate who went to the cinema____________________________
8. A classmate who rode a horse_________________________________
9. A classmate who visited Norrland______________________________
10. A classmate who played a sports tournament______________________
11. A classmate who caught a fish_________________________________
12. A classmate who went to a party_______________________________
13. A classmate who wrote a diary________________________________
14. A classmate who ate herring at midsummer_______________________
15. A classmate who went to her/his country house____________________
16. A classmate who played Guitar Hero____________________________
17. A classmate who read two books_______________________________
18. A classmate who visited a European city_________________________
Meet Mr Bean (Mr Bean meets Joan, one of his pupils, and her friend in the street.)
|Bean:||Good morning, Joan.|
|Joan:||Good morning, Mr Bean. How are you?|
|Bean:||I'm fine, thanks, and you?|
|Joan:||Not too bad. Mr Bean, this is my friend Leni. Leni, this is Mr Bean, my English teacher.|
|Bean:||Pleased to meet you.|
|Joan:||Pleased to meet you too. Are you from Germany, Leni?|
|Bean:||Yes, eastern Germany, from Dresden. And you, are you from London?|
|Joan:||No, I'm from Derby, but I live in London now.|
|Bean:||Well, goodbye Mr Bean. It was nice to see you.|
- Question Words: 1 2
- Tell me about yourself (your autobiography):
- What is your name?
- How old are you?
- When is your birthday?
- Do you have any brothers or sisters?
Useful expressions uttryck
"I’m listening to the other side."
- I see your point, but I think…
- Yes, I understand, but my opinion is that…
- That’s all very interesting, but the problem is that…
- I’m afraid I can’t quite agree with your point.
- I think I’ve got your point, now let me respond to it.
"I need to say something now."
- I’m sorry to interrupt, but you’ve misunderstood our point.
- Excuse me, but that’s not quite correct.
- Sorry, I just have to disagree with your point.
- If you would allow me to add a comment here...
- ”You haven't replied yet”
- There are two points that we have succeeded in establishing…
"Well, I think that…"
- The first point I would like to raise is this…
- Here’s the main point I want to raise…
- I’d like to deal with two points here. The first is…
- Let me just restate my position.
- Just to be clear, here is what I mean.
"Asking for an explanation"
- What do you mean?
- What are you saying?
- What are you trying to get at?
- I didn't get that.
"When you don't understand someone"
- I don't get it.
- I don't follow.
- I'm not sure I know what you mean.
"When someone doesn't understand you"
- That's not what I meant.
- That's not what I said.
- I didn't say that.
"Criticizing someone's understanding"
- Listen to me.
- You're not listening to what I'm saying.
- You're missing the point.
- You've got it all wrong.
- Let me make myself clear.
- Let me clarify that.
- I find that hard to believe.
- You can't fool me.
- I wasn't born yesterday.
Does the speaker (checklist):
- Speake loudly & clearly?
- Take his time. Let his voice naturally add color and inflection?
- Use body language well?
- Keep both feet on the floor? (No sloching, swaying etc.)
- Look at his audience / interviewer?
- Questions of fact? (What happened? What did you see? Hear? What happened next?)
- Questions of explanation? (What do you mean by.... Please explain in your own words....
- Questions exploring cause & effect: (Why did that happen? What will result?)
- Questions exploring alternatives? (Can you suggest another solution? Could anything else be done?)
- Questions challenging a position? (Why do you say.... List dis/advantages of that position.)
b: bomb, lamb, dumb, plumber, climb, thumb
c: scissors, scene
g: design, foreign, sign, through
h: echo, school
k: knee, knife, know, knowledge
n: autumn, damn
p: psychology, pneumonia lung inflammation, receipt kvitto
t: castle slott, fasten, listen, whistle (some people say the "t" in: often*, soften*)
w: sword, wrap, wrestle, wrinkle, two, wrist, write, wrong
- Practice a skit:
Write a skit (short theatre). Perform it. Topics: NyTsep09
Most Distant Place Mest avlägsna plats
A Decisive Meeting Ett avgörande möte
When I was Courageous Då var jag modig
An Unforgettable Birthday En oförglömlig födelsedag
Talk About It
- Explain why you...
- Films worth discussing:
svåruttalat uttryck, tungvrickare
Try to say these!
- Sju skönsjungande sjuksköterskor skötte sjuttiosju sjösjuka sjömän på skeppet Shanghai.
[Seventy seven beautifully singing nurses took care of seven sea-sick seamen on the ship ""Shanghai"".]
- Sex vaxade laxar i en vaxad laxask [Six waxed salmons in a waxed salmon box]
- A box of biscuits, a batch of mixed biscuits.
(Many Brits eat digestive biscuits kex with their tea.)
- A Tudor who tooted a flute
tried to tutor two tooters to toot.
Said the two to their tutor,
"Is it harder to toot
or to tutor two tooters to toot?"
- Bill Wood said he would carry the wood
through the wood if Wood said he would.
- Fred fed Ted bread, and Ted fed Fred bread.
- How much wood would a woodchuck chuck
if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
A woodchuck would chuck as much wood
as a woodchuck could chuck
â€‹if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
- I thought a thought.
But the thought I thought wasn't the thought
I thought I thought.
- If a doctor doctored another doctor,
Would the doctor doing the doctoring
Doctor the other doctor
In the way the doctored doctor wanted to be doctored.
Or would the doctor doing the doctoring
Doctor the other doctor
the way the doctor who doctors doctor?
- Irish wristwatch.
- Newt Neverland knew newer Knights
never knew Norway's newest news.
- Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper.
Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled pepper?
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper,
Where's the peck of pickled pepper Peter Piper picked?
- She saw shy sheep.
- She sells sea shells by the sea shore.
The shells she sells sure are sea shore shells,
For if she sells sea shore shells as sea shells,
The shells she sells are sea shore shells.
- Six swift Swiss ships swiftly shift.
- The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick. (The World's Hardest Tongue Twister?)
- There are two minutes difference
from four to two to two to two,
from two to two to two, too.
- Three free throws.
- Unique New York
- We surely shall see the sun shine soon.
- Which wristwatches are Swiss wristwatches?
- Which witch winds white weasel wool well?
- Yippe! Justin yielded to Jessica's "yes"
just after yesterday's yeast yielded yet another
yummy yeasty youghurt on yet another jet plane.
What's your excuse?
- Why were you spray-painting your neighbor’s bike?
- Why did you steal the policeman’s gun?
- Why were you crawling down the school sewers?
What's you opinion?
Do you agree or disagree?
- Abortion is murder.
- Americans know nothing about the world outside of the USA.
- Astrid Lindgren was a genius.
- Astrology is nonsense. Your life has nothing to do with stars.
- Beer should be sold in supermakets.
- Big muscles are beautiful.
- "Bingolotto" is bad for people's intellect.
- Cars should be banned.
- Charter trips are the only way to travel.
- Climate change is terrifying.
- Computer games are dangerous for children.
- Finns drink more than Swedes.
- French is a nice language that no one should speak.
- Harry Potter knows more than he lets on.
- Dogs are a man's best friend, but horses are a woman's.
- Ghosts and vampires are real.
- Girls are smarter than boys.
- The Americans invented internet so they could spy on the rest of the world.
- Japanese food is wonderful.
- Mr McG can't add.
- Mr F is a clone.
- My life will be better than my parents' lives. Mitt liv blir bättre än...
- Nowadays, it is impossible to live without internet.
- Parents and teachers should be allowed to slap children.
- People are too intolerant towards smokers these days.
- Pippi Longstocking is a good role model.
- Stockholm Culture Festival is great fun.
- Sweden should adopt the euro.
- Sweden should leave the EU.
- Swedish people are cold and boring.
- The best thing about Norway is that it is near Sweden.
- The Christmas shopping season is way overdone.
- There's going to be a third world war. Det kommer att vara ett 3:e världkrig.
- There's no such thing as fair.
- There's too much sports on TV.
- There will never be peace on earth.
- There's no life on other planets, no aliens.
- We should shut down all our nuclear plants.
- Women's Lib has gone too far.
- Working "off the books"/"under the table" is OK.